Kate had previously discussed the possibility of making a Thai broth using solely Scottish ingredients with fellow forager Mark Williams of Galloway Wild Foods. After a hard day’s foraging she kindly invited us to use her house and kitchen with its amazing views out across Loch Gruinart. That evening seemed the perfect opportunity as with Mark’s guidance we had gathered all the necessary foraged flavourings.
The results were very successful. We were all amazed that with what we had foraged from the shores and the woodlands of Islay we were able to achieve such an exotically flavoured dish. The star of this show was definitely the rich coconut milk cap mushrooms (Lactarius glyciosmus).
Ingredients – Serves 4:-
- 8 medium hand dived scallops (cleaned with roes saved for broth)
- 75mls local extra virgin rapeseed oil
- 100mls homemade foraged vermouth or regular is fine
- 400mls mineral water
- Tsp local honey
- 10 grams of finely chopped coriander grass( buds saved for finishing)
- 2 large tblsp of fermented wild garlic (or one chopped regular clove)
- 200g Coconut milk caps
- 25 mls crab apple verjus (could substitute lime)
- Hebridean Salt and freshly ground pepper.